Irwin Christmas Photo

Irwin Christmas Photo

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Spanish + Chinese + English = Spchenglish

We are currently full time language students. That means that our goal is to spend 30-40 hours a week studying Chinese. After a full day of language learning, there are some days that the brain just turns off. We catch ourselves doing really silly things, making ridiculous grammatical errors in English or just simply not being able to recall the right words in any language.  I realize that I am trying to learning a new language and keeping up with errands and chores of living in a new country while continuing to be a wife to Philip and mother to a busy body one year old ... oh yea and grow a new life inside me.  So, on those days, my response is to enjoy a good chuckle at the silly things done by a non-functioning mind. And I just accept that "mommy's brain is fried" and move on.

Recently, we were eating dinner and I said something to a lady in the restaurant. I got strange looks back and I looked at Philip for back up in communicating. He laughed and asked if I knew what I just said. No. I had no idea. Apparently I said "It is (English) muy (Spanish) pianyidiar (Chinese)." All working together to say "It is very cheap." We had a nice laugh at my Sp-ch-english.

It is interesting though that when I can't recall a particular vocabulary word, I find my brian searching for the word in any language. Sometimes when my Chinese fails, me my mind will pull up words from high school Spanish class that I never could have recalled on command. I have found that this is true even with a non-verbal language. I studied sign language in college and the same thing will happen. No Chinese or Spanish will come out, but I realize that with out my permission my hands are somehow forming the signs for the word. Occasionally even baby sign will make an unintentional appearance. Looking forward to the day with my mouth says what my brain is thinking.

No comments: