Irwin Christmas Photo

Irwin Christmas Photo

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Being a Mommy

You hear many women say that being a mom is one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences in life. How true! Motherhood has been filled with moments that I have thought I can NOT possibly throw up one more time.  Moments when I've rocked my screaming baby through the night and thought that I cannot possibly stay awake one more moment. Moments where my arm has fallen asleep and feels like it might fall off, but I dare not move it and risk waking the baby. But there is no doubt that it is all worth it as that same baby wraps her tiny hand around my finger. My heart is filled with joy with kicks and jabs of sweet life growing in my belly. Words don't come close to describing the love I feel as I've heard those sweet baby giggles and later the big belly laughs that fill the room. Nothing can replace the feeling I have when only a mommy kiss can make that little boo boo feel better or watching those wobbly little legs brave their first steps.

Motherhood has been full of life lessons! Its been a continual lesson in patience. Filled with moments where I think I might go mad if I have to say 'sit on your bottom' one more time. Filled with moments when in the one second I had my back turned, she managed to make a huge mess. Filled with times our big helper makes a task take ten times longer than the time I want it to take. But it has been so fun to watch her learn to pick up her toys and figure out that the square block fits into the square hole. It makes me smile to see my shadow trying to copy the things I do. Its been so rewarding to watch her face express so much excitement and pride after completing something I've asked her to do.

I have found the most challenging thing about motherhood is the uncertainty.  So many times, it has been difficult to determine the best thing to do. Is she ready for solid foods?  When should we move her to a big girl bed?  Does this warrant a call to the doctor? Determining which battles are worth fighting and which ones are best left alone. When should let my mama bear instinct protect her and when is it better to let life's natural consequences teach her lessons?

Parenting has been a lesson in grace and forgiveness. As an imperfect person, I am a far from a perfect mommy. I hope that as my children grow older they can see my parenting for the love and good intentions it was filled with, rather than my mistakes. Parenting has been a constant change in perspective in many areas, including this.  I hope that as a daughter I am able to make mom feel appreciated for her heart of love instead of regret over things that could have gone better.

In so many ways, being a mom has increased my love, appreciation, and admiration for my mom.  I have been so blessed with a wonderful mom and mother-in-law. They have both made such an impact on my life. They have shaped who I want to be a person, friend, wife, and of course mother. I am so grateful for them! I am also grateful to their mothers who have been wonderful mothers and grandmothers! All these women have set such wonderful examples of parenting and love. Thank you!  I am also so thankful for a wonderful husband. I am so glad I get to share in the joys and frustrations of parenting with him! I am so overwhelmed by the joy and blessing it has been to be mommy! Happy Mothers Day!


No comments: